Saturday, June 18, 2011

Practice makes perfect!!

After many years of trying to be a "real cook", (which I'm not), I have completely avoided baking anything with yeast in it. I have heard many horror stories about baking doorstops instead of bread, or yeast rolls that looked and felt like hockey pucks. Now, I have baked whole wheat bread off and on all of our marriage. But the "experts" say that whole wheat flour is more forgiving than white flour, so I just decided that I couldn't do it. So, for the past 25 years, I have completely avoided it. But the last few months, for whatever reason, I have wanted to make cinnamon rolls. (Maybe it is because Mrs. Powell's closed in the mall, or the fact that I'm pushing 50 years old, and haven't ever made cinnamon rolls!) I tried a few weeks ago, and they weren't too bad. But tonight I think I nailed it!!!! Two pans of cinnamon rolls that looked pretty good! And the house smelled amazing! Oh, and they tasted quite fine!


This pan I put a powdered sugar glaze on them when they were still hot.

The second pan looked like this straight from the oven. But, then I added sweet, gooey, cream cheese frosting! Wow, they were amazing!


This simple pan of cinnamon rolls means a lot to me. It represents a lot of things in my life that I have been afraid to try because I thought I would fail. Maybe I am a real cook after all? And you know what else I have learned, it is the simple things in life that are the sweetest after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment